Permit Application Requirements

In order to obtain a building permit, the following information must be provided:
  • Copy of Land Use/Zoning Permit (Development Permit): This can be obtained from the Wayne County Planning Department. If the property is located within the City Limits and/ or the 1 mile area of the Town's extraterritorial jurisdiction, then the zoning permit would need to be obtained from the individual town's planning/zoning office. Building permits are issued for Wayne County except for the City of Goldsboro and the 1 mile area and the Town of Mt. Olive and the 1 mile area.
  • Copy of Septic Tank Permit - new and/or existing: This can be obtained from the Wayne County Environmental Health Office. If the Town's have a water and/or sewer system, the individual town's have to send an approval letter (Eureka, Fremont, Pikeville, Seven Springs, and the Village of Walnut Creek).
  • Building Plans - One set of plans/Residential- Two sets of plans/Commercial, to be submitted for approval. When the plans are approved, the building permit may be issued, provided you have the 2 previous permits.
  • Commercial - Steps 1-3 above + erosion control letter from the State if applicable, Storm Water calculations.
  • 9ll Address for New Location - Issued under the Land Use/Zoning Permit (Development Permit) -Wayne County Planning.
Electrical permits are required for the installation of new electrical service equipment, existing service relocation, and service increases, as well as interior and exterior fixed appliances and equipment connections, including mobile homes.

Mechanical permits are required for the placement, replacement, repair or alteration of mechanical systems in structures, heating, air conditioning, cooling, and ventilation systems, gas piping systems, including mobile homes.

Plumbing Permits are required for all plumbing work including water service, drains, and mobile homes.

Mobile Home Set-Up
Mobile Home Set-Up Permits are under the N.C. State Building Code - permits are required for all mobile homes new and relocated in Wayne County. Set-Up Permits are the same as building permit requirements (except we do not require a set of plans to be reviewed) Mobile Home Set Up Permits are required prior to relocating mobile home.