Wayne County is implementing a bi-weekly pay schedule for all employees in April 2023. This page has resources and information to help employees understand the transition and make necessary preparations for the start of bi-weekly payroll. If you have additional questions after reading the information and FAQs, feel free to use the contact form below for a payroll team member to reach out to you.
How Does This Affect Me?
The change in payroll schedule will not change what you earn, it will only change how many checks you receive in a year. Instead of 12 pay periods, there will be 26 under this new plan. We know that a change in pay schedule will mean a change in cash flow during the month of implementation. Finance, Payroll, and Human Resources have planned for this and have selected April 2023 for the implementation in order to delay this until after the holidays. Cash flow will change for employees during this transition. Here are some options that employees can explore for temporary cash flow purposes (note: the County can not assist employees with these options or make recommendations, but we are simply providing these as information)
- Consult with your tax preparer on making any tax or financial changes
- Hold onto your tax return and use for the transition
- Review monthly expenses and come up with a plan on how to change payment due dates, if necessary
- Evaluate 401(k) contributions and consider reducing temporarily to increase net pay to get through transitional period.
Why Move to Bi-Weekly Payroll?
Moving to bi-weekly payroll will standardize and simplify the payroll procedures across all departments. This shift in the payment schedule will reduce overpayments and manual adjustments in pay as the pay periods will be true to hours worked. With the bi-weekly payroll schedule, you will be paid every other Friday instead of once per month.
Interactive Bi-Weekly Payroll Calculator
Use the calculator below to enter your annual salary amount and see how your gross pay will change during the transition to bi-weekly payroll.
Full time and part time employees will transition to bi-weekly payroll in 2023. Here are the schedules for payroll in 2023:
Full Time Transition Schedule
|Pay Period Dates||Pay Date||# of Hours Paid (Base Pay)|
|1/1/2023 - 1/31/2023||1/25/2023||174|
|2/1/2023 - 2/28/2023||2/24/2023||174|
|3/1/2023 - 3/25/2023||3/24/2023||144*|
|3/26/2023 - 4/8/2023||4/14/2023||80|
|4/9/2023 - 4/22/2023||4/28/2023||80|
|4/23/2023 - 5/6/2023||5/12/2023||80|
|5/7/2023 - 5/20/2023||5/26/2023||80|
|5/21/2023 - 6/3/2023||6/9/2023||80|
|6/4/2023 - 6/17/2023||6/23/2023||80|
|7/2/2023 - 7/15/2023||7/21/2023||80|
|7/16/2023 - 7/29/2023||8/4/2023||80|
|7/30/2023 - 8/12/2023||8/18/2023||80|
|8/13/2023 - 8/26/2023||9/1/2023||80|
|8/27/2023 - 9/9/2023||9/15/2023||80|
|9/10/2023 - 9/23/2023||9/29/2023||80|
|9/24/2023 - 10/7/2023||10/13/2023||80|
|10/8/2023 - 10/21/2023||10/27/2023||80|
|10/22/2023 - 11/4/2023||11/9/2023||80|
|11/5/2023 - 11/18/2023||11/22/2023||80|
|11/19/2023 - 12/2/2023||12/8/2023||80|
|12/3/2023 - 12/16/2023||12/22/2023||80|
|12/17/2023 - 12/30/2023||1/5/2024||80|
*There are 18 workdays between 3/1/2023 – 3/25/2023. This equals 144 hours (8 hours/day x 18 days) which will be paid on 3/24/2023. The first bi-weekly pay period will start 3/26/2023 (Sunday) through 4/8/2023 (Saturday) and you will receive 80 hours of pay on 4/14/2023.
Part Time Transition Schedule
|Pay Period Dates||Pay Date|
|12/01/2022 - 12/31/2022||1/25/2023|
|1/1/2023 - 1/31/2023||2/24/2023|
|2/1/2023 - 2/28/2023||3/24/2023|
|3/1/2023 - 4/8/2023||4/14/2023|
|4/9/2023 - 4/22/2023||4/28/2023|
|4/23/2023 - 5/6/2023||5/12/2023|
|5/7/2023 - 5/20/2023||5/26/2023|
|5/21/2023 - 6/3/2023||6/9/2023|
|6/4/2023 - 6/17/2023||6/23/2023|
|7/2/2023 - 7/15/2023||7/21/2023|
|7/16/2023 - 7/29/2023||8/4/2023|
|7/30/2023 - 8/12/2023||8/18/2023|
|8/13/2023 - 8/26/2023||9/1/2023|
|8/27/2023 - 9/9/2023||9/15/2023|
|9/10/2023 - 9/23/2023||9/29/2023|
|9/24/2023 - 10/7/2023||10/13/2023|
|10/8/2023 - 10/21/2023||10/27/2023|
|10/22/2023 - 11/4/2023||11/9/2023|
|11/5/2023 - 11/18/2023||11/22/2023|
|11/19/2023 - 12/2/2023||12/8/2023|
|12/3/2023 - 12/16/2023||12/22/2023|
|12/17/2023 - 12/30/2023||1/5/2024|
- When will biweekly payrolls begin?
- When will I get paid?
- What days will I be paid for?
- What can I do now to help with the transition of getting paid every two weeks.
- Will I get paid the same?
- Do I need to notify my bank?
- What should I do about my bank drafts?
- For Public Safety Departments, how will fluctuating overtime be paid?
- How will part time employees be paid when we transition to biweekly payroll?
- Will timesheets change?
- Do I need to notify my health or benefit providers about the change from monthly to bi-weekly payrolls?
- For Sheriff & Detention Employees, how will my pay change?
- For 401(k) deductions, will I need to make any change?
- For Federal and State Withholding taxes, do I need to change anything?
- What do I need to do if I have a 401(k) or a 457 loan?