Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP)
LIEAP is a federally funded program which provides eligible households with one-time assistance towards heating expenses. This program runs annually from December 1st-March 31st. December 1st through December 31st, priority is given to households containing an elderly person age 60 or older or households containing persons with disabilities who also receive services through the Division of Aging and Adult Services (DAAS). January 1st through March 31st, any household can potentially receive benefits, if all eligibility requirements are met and funds are available. Payments are made directly to the heating vendor and amounts vary according to household size and the household’s primary heating source.
To be eligible, a person must:
- Have at least one U.S. citizen or non-citizen who meets eligibility criteria
- Have income equal to or less than 130 percent of the federal poverty limit
- Have resources, such as saving and checking accounts, cash on hand, at or below $2,250
- Be responsible for their heating cost
Applicants are not required to complete applications in the office nor have a face-to-face interview. All completed applications will require an interview; however, this interview can be conducted by telephone. Wayne County households who want to apply for energy assistance can do so by the following ways:
- Apply online via https://epass.nc.gov or;
- Pick up an application at 301 N Herman St, Goldsboro or;
- Contact the agency at 919-731-1577 to complete a telephone interview and/or have an application mailed to them
Completed applications may be submitted as follows:
- Mailed to 301 N Herman St, Box HH, Goldsboro, NC 27530 or placed in the drop box located at 301 N Herman St, Goldsboro, NC or;
- Faxed to 919-731-1087 or;
- Emailed to email@example.com
Weatherization Assistance is also available to help eligible individuals save energy and reduce utility costs. The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and Heating and Air Repair and Replacement Program (HARRP) Weatherization programs for Wayne County are managed through Wayne Action Group for Economic Solvency, Inc (WAGES). For more information on these programs, please call 919-734-1178, ext 240 to speak with a representative or visit their website at http://wagesnc.org/programs/weatherization-haarp-program/.