Requirements for Obtaining a Marriage License
- Both Applicants must be present when applying for the marriage license. The marriage may be performed anywhere within NC. You may download the work sheet online (PDF).
- A premarital physical is not required.
- Applicants need not be residents of North Carolina to marry in Wayne County.
- Both Applicants must present identification.
- Applicants 21 years of age or above may use one of the following forms of identification:
Driver's license (not expired)
State-issued ID Card (not expired)
Passport (not expired)
Military ID (not expired)
- If one of the above-referenced IDs does not provide your full name, then a certified birth certificate is recommended.
- In Addition to Identification, both Applicants must present their original Social Security card or must provide verification of the number by presenting a W-2 form or pay stub which must contain the entire Social Security number. Applicants who are not eligible for a Social Security number may obtain a marriage license by signing an affidavit attesting to this fact. You may download the affidavit (PDF).
- Applicants 20 years of age or younger must have a certified copy of their birth certificate.
- Applicants 16 or 17 years of age must have written parental consent and certified copies of their birth certificate in order to obtain a license. Parents need to come with the Applicant in order to sign the consent form.
- Applicants 14 or 15 years of age must present a certified court order signed by a District Court Judge that authorizes the marriage.
- Divorced applicants must provide the month and year of their last divorce. If the divorce was finalized within 30 days of applying for the license, the Applicant must provide an original or certified copy of the divorce decree as well. There is no waiting period between the divorce and applying for the new license.
- The license is good immediately upon issuance and is valid for 60 days.
- The fee for the license is $60 Cash, check or credit card accepted.
- Marriage licenses are issued between the hours of 8 a.m. - 4 p.m., Monday-Friday, excluding holidays.
- Marriages may be performed by an ordained minister of any religious denomination, a minister authorized by a church, a magistrate, federally or state recognized Indian nation or tribe or any other person authorized to solemnize a marriage under the laws of this State.
How to Obtain a Copy of a Certified Marriage Record by Mail
- If you are unable to come in person to get a copy of your marriage certificate, you may send in a written request. Please include the following information on your request: Names of both Applicants and date of marriage. You may download the request form (PDF).
- Sign your request form and enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope, along with a copy of your current driver's license, and a current phone number.
- Certified copies are $10 each. We accept check or money order through the mail.
- Mail your request to:
Wayne County Register of Deeds
224-226 E Walnut Street
Goldsboro, NC 27533
- Certified copies of the marriage license are also available from this office after it has been returned to us. To process the request, we need the names of both Applicants and the date of the marriage. A certified copy of a marriage license is $10. Cash, check or credit card accepted when requesting in person.
- The Wayne County Register of Deeds can only provide copies of marriage licenses that were issued by this office.