To Obtain a Copy of a Birth Record
The Wayne County Register of Deeds Office can issue a birth record for those persons who were born in Wayne County for $10.
If you, or the person for whom you are requesting the record, was born outside of Wayne County, you can contact that particular Register of Deeds Office or agency that handles the birth records. You may call us to get the phone number and address of other Registers of Deeds Offices in the state.
This office currently participates in a program called "Statewide Issuance" whereby we are able to provide copies of birth certificates for people born in other counties in North Carolina. The data base we are using is provided by Vital Records in Raleigh, N.C., and begins with the year 1971.
If you live in Wayne County now but were born in another county, we may be able to issue a certified copy locally. Remember you must have been born beginning in 1971 and thereafter. If you were born prior to 1971, you will need to contact the county of birth.
The fee for issuing birth certificates from another county is $24 ($10 for the certified copy and $14 for using the data base provided by Vital Records.)
Note: Certified copies of vital records may only be obtained by eligible persons. Uncertified copies are available to the public.
To Obtain a Copy of a Birth Record in Person
- The Wayne County Register of Deeds Office is located on the first floor of the Courthouse Annex in Goldsboro.
- Make sure that you are either the person for whom the birth certificate is being requested, or you are the spouse, parent, child, sibling, grandparent, grandchild, step-child or step-parent, or the attorney or legal agent of the person. Birth Certificates can only be provided to these individuals.
- Complete the Application for Certified Copies of Vital Records form (PDF).
- Bring proper identification. Forms of ID are Drivers License with photograph or State issued Identification Card.
- Certified copies are $10 each. Cash, check or credit card accepted.
To Obtain a Copy of a Birth Record by Mail
- If you are unable to come in person to get a copy of your birth certificate, you may mail in a written request.
- Sign the request and enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope, along with a copy of your current driver's license, and a current phone number.
- Certified copies are $10 each. We accept check or money order payments through the mail.
- Mail the request to:
Wayne County Register of Deeds
224-226 East Walnut Street
Goldsboro, NC 27533
To Obtain a Copy of a Birth Record by Fax
- Persons eligible to apply for a specific birth certificate should complete the Request-for-Vitals-PDF which can be faxed along with proper identification (see requirements listed) to 919-731-1441. When the fax has been completed, please furnish your debit or credit card information to this office at 919-731-1449. The fee for this type issuance is $11.00 which covers the cost of the birth certificate, postage and handling fees. Information received by 2:00 pm each day should go out in the 3:00 pm mail.
If you have other questions or need assistance, please do not hesitate to contact this office at 919-731-1449. Any staff member will be happy to help you.